Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Smart Quotes Versus Straight Quotes

I recently had my manuscript for Claire Young proofread by Steve Mathisen. He pointed out that I had somehow achieved a mix of Microsoft Word "straight quotes" and "smart quotes" (curly quotes) throughout my manuscript. This can happen if you use a basic editor for drafting and then export it to Word for editing. He recommended I use one quote type or the other, but not both. I had to hunt a bit on the web to find the process, but here's what I found.

Word 2003

  1. Click Tools
  2. Click Autocorrect Options ...
  3. Under Autoformat as you type, uncheck "Straight quotes" with "Smart quotes." (If you want smart quotes, you would check the box).
  4. Press CTRL+H
  5. Under Find type "
  6. Under Replace type "
  7. Click Replace All.
Word 2007

  1. Options
  2. Proofing
  3. Autocorrect Options. 
  4. Under Autoformat as you type, uncheck "Straight quotes" with "Smart quotes." (If you want smart quotes, you would check the box).
  5. Press CTRL+H
  6. Under Find type "
  7. Under Replace type "
  8. Click Replace All.
If you're still having trouble, here's a link to the original article.

No comments:

Post a Comment